In this blog you’ll learn how to:
- Connect EdgeCTP with Shopify
- Fetch your Products, Customers and Orders from Shopify into EdgeCTP
- List your EdgeCTP Product onto your Shopify store
- Receive an Order from Shopify into EdgeCTP as a Sales Order
- Generate an Invoice from the Sales Order
- Send the Invoice to a Customer
- Copy the Invoice to an Accounting Package
- Disconnecting Shopify from EdgeCTP
Get Ready with Shopify + EdgeCTP Accounts
This blog assumes that you have:
- An active Shopify account and a Shopify store
- Customers and Products already placed or you wish to place in your Shopify store
- An EdgeCTP account with a subscription to at least the XTrade plan, because you’ll need the CRM, Stock Control and eCommerce functions
- Access to follow the examples provided in the sections below. Both the EdgeCTP and Shopify accounts are demo/test version, which are loaded with example data.
- Finally, the test EdgeCTP application is “unlisted” on the Shopify app store
How to Connect EdgeCTP from within Shopify
This section show you how to connect EdgeCTP from within Shopify.
Installing An Unlisted EdgeCTP Shopify App
Currently, EdgeCTP is NOT a listed app on the Shopify App Store, that is, EdgeCTP is an UNLISTED Shopify App. Therefore, ONLY perform the following steps if you wish to test EdgeCTP with you “development store”. Use the Shopify “Partner” to manage the installation of the unlisted EdgeCTP app.
Login to the Shopify Development Store via Shopify Partners
1. Use a web browser and open the Shopify Partners page https://www.shopify.com/partners and Log in the account
2. Let’s first login to the Shopify (Development) store where the EdgeCTP App will be installed. From the Get Started partner page, on the left menu, choose Stores > Log In to the store
3 A new tab will open and the Shopify (Development) store will open, taking you to the Administration part of the store. Go back to the Shopify Partners by clicking on the Stores – Shopify Partners tab at the top of the browser window
Install the Unlisted App into the Shopify Development Store
4. From the Get Started partner page, on the left menu choose Apps > EdgeCTP
5. On the EdgeCTP apps page, scroll to the bottom and click the “Select store” button in the ‘Test you app’ box
6. On the Test app on development store, mouse over the Edge_CTP store in the list and click Install app
7. The EdgeCTP login screen will appear. Type in your EdgeCTP User Name (normally your email address) and login password, then click Login
8. After a few moments, you will return back to the Shopify, where you click the Install Unlisted App button at the bottom of the form
Connection Established between Shopify Development Store + EdgeCTP
9. After a little processing to install the EdgeCTP app into the Shopify (development) store, the EdgeCTP Settings > eCommerce > Shopify page will load and a connected status (green tick) will appear
You have now successfully connected EdgeCTP from within Shopify.
How to Connect Shopify from within EdgeCTP
You can also connect to Shopify from within EdgeCTP. Follow the steps below if you’d prefer to connect Shopify and EdgeCTP using this method.
- Login to EdgeCTP and from the Home Dashboard, choose Administration > Settings > eCommerce > Shopify
- For the Shopify Store Address field type in your Shopify Store Admin Address e.g. findem-
ltd.myshopify.com and click Connect
- EdgeCTP will verify the Shopify Store Admin Address and then open the Shopify login screen in a new tab; use your Shopify details and login; you’ll then be presented with the Authorise/Install EdgeCTP page; scroll down and click Install app to connect EdgeCTP and your Shopify store (at the time of writing EdgeCTP was still unlisted on Shopify’s App Store, so the button to click was Install unlisted app)
- You’ll return back to EdgeCTP and the connection will be established, with a “Awesome! You’re connected!!” message. Click the ‘Go to Store Admin’ icon next to the Shopify Store Admin Address, which lets you open Shopify in a separate tab, which means you’ll have EdgeCTP open in one tab and your Shopify store in another
How to Fetch Data from Shopify into EdgeCTP
If you wish to manually fetch data from Shopify and load it into EdgeCTP (Products, Customers and Orders – that do NOT already exist in EdgeCTP) then:
- If you’re not already at the EdgeCTP Settings for Shopify, from the EdgeCTP Home Dashboard choose Administration > Settings > eCommerce and Shopify (which should be connected to your Shopify store)
- Set the Fetch Shopify Data For Last field to a fetch data range value, e.g. 1 Day
- Click Fetch Data then read and click Yes – Go on to begin fetching data from Shopify and loading into EdgeCTP. A separate tab will open with the EdgeCTP Home Dashboard, which allows you to continue working with EdgeCTP, whilst data is fetched in the background
- If you click back onto the EdgeCTP Settings tab and the eCommerce > Shopify tabs, you’ll see data fetching progressing until completed, when you’ll get a “Fetching Complete!!” message
How to List your EdgeCTP Product onto your Shopify store
Tag EdgeCTP Product for Listing on Shopify
If you have a product that is currently in EdgeCTP and you wish to list it onto your Shopify store then do the following steps.
- Login to EdgeCTP and from the Home Dashboard choose Stock Control > Products & Inventory to show the Products & Inventory dashboard
- Search for the product you wish to list on Shopify and then click the View Action on the Product. Tip: Click eComm tab > Unlisted filter to show all your product that are NOT listed on Shopify (or any other marketplace)
- Once the product record appears, click Edit button > eCommerce tab and flick the List Product on eCommerce to YES to reveal the listings options
- Set the three fields of Product Category; Product Sub-Category and Product Type (e.g. Travel + Travel Bags + Duffle Bags) and then for List On select Shopify
- Click Save and then Close to return to the Products & Inventory dashboardAt this point, you can either proceed with the listing from the current Product & Inventory dashboard or use the main eCommerce dashboard method (shown next below)
Listing a Tagged Product from EdgeCTP to Shopify (eCommerce Method)
- With the EdgeCTP product already tagged for listing on Shopify (previous sets), from the main menu, choose Stock Control > eCommerce and click the Unlisted filter to show products that have not yet been listed on Shopify
- Find the product you want to list and click Set Listing Status Action for the product
- When the Product Listing/De-List pop-up appears, select the Shopify channel and set the Qty To List value e.g. 30 and click List it!
- Wait for the listing to happen, you’ll get a “Success” message appear. Notice the listing status (Listed On + Qty Listed columns) on the dashboard
- Switch to your Shopify Store Admin dashboard tab (logged in previously or login
again to your Shopify Store Admin application if you’re logged out)
- On Shopify click Products > All products from the menu, to show the products
currently held within your Shopify store, and search for your recently added product(s) e.g. Ogio Rig 9800
- Check the product status, quantity etc. by clicking on the Product Name to make sure the product is listed correctly
- Click Preview menu choice at the top right of the Product form to open a new tab showing how the product will appear to customers visiting the Shopify store
That’s the EdgeCTP originating product listed on your Shopify store.
Continue from here to see how a client would place an order for the product (via the Shopify store) and that order ending up in both Shopify and EdgeCTP, where you’ll do the necessary fulfilment activities.
Creating an Order in Shopify
Normally orders for products are placed by customers (online shoppers) who visit your Shopify Online Store, find the product, select and pay for it via the online checkout process. The order then appears on your Shopify Store Admin dashboard ready for you to fulfil.
Alternatively, the customer may call/phone in and place the order over the phone, which you can enter as a manual order directly into Shopify via the Store Admin dashboard.
Both methods are shown below, however, if you’re planning on following along with the example, then use the second, manual order capture directly into Shopify method, because the payment step in the Shopify Online Store method may prove awkward as a test.
Shopify Online Store Order Entry Method
- Begin by going into the Shopify Online Store (something that an online customer/shopper would do normally)If you want to follow this example, then from (return back to) the Shopify Store Admin dashboard and click View (Eye) icon next to the Sales Channels, Online Store menu, which will open a new tab for your Shopify store (i.e. Customer view), then click Catalog to see your product range.
- Customer visits your online store and selects the product to purchase
- Customer chooses either Add to Cart or Buy it Now (if you’re following this exercise, choose Buy it Now so that you go straight to the Check-out)
- Customer completes their Contact information and clicks Continue to shipping
- Customer selects a Shipping method and clicks Continue to payment
- Customer enters their Payment details and clicks Pay nowIf you’re following this as an example, then it’s probable that you don’t have (or want to make) the payment using actual card details, if so, jump down to the second Manual Order Entry using Shopify Store Admin method; ‘abandon’ this order here if you choose to now switch to the manual order entry method (i.e. simply close the browser tab).
If the Customer carries on and makes the payment, then the order will be placed in Shopify, which can be viewed via your Shopify Store Admin screen.
Manual Order Entry using Shopify Store Admin Method
- Begin by opening your Shopify Store Admin screen (login if you’ve not already done so)
- In the left menu, click Orders to show the Orders Dashboard and click Create order button on the top right
- In the Create Order screen begin on the right panel by either creating a Customer or finding and selecting an existing one
- In the Order details find and select the Product the Customer wishes to buy; if required, add any Discount or Shipping charges or taxes, and if requested, “email invoice” to the Customer.Finally, click Mark as paid (if the customer has paid) or Mark as pending (if the customer is yet to pay)
In this example, we’ll go with Mark as paid to directly create the order, so when informed this will create an order, just click Create order.
- The created Order will appear as Paid and ‘Unfulfilled’ (i.e. goods still need to be sent)
- Click the  left arrow (top left next to the Order number to return to the Orders dashboard). Notice the order created as the first entry on the Orders dashboard.
Continue on to the next section to learn how to copy this order into EdgeCTP.
Retrieving Shopify Orders into EdgeCTP
Orders that have been created in Shopify will flow into EdgeCTP as Sales Orders.
The steps below show you how to manually retrieve the Shopify orders and copy them into EdgeCTP for subsequent fulfilment. In normal operations, this manual step would NOT be necessary because ‘web hooks’ between EdgeCTP and Shopify would ensure that orders would automatically flow in the background into EdgeCTP.
- Login to EdgeCTP and make sure that both EdgeCTP and your Shopify store are connected within the Administration > Settings > eCommerce > Shopify section of EdgeCTP
- Click Fetch Data here and any Products, Customers and Orders will be retrieved from Shopify and placed into EdgeCTP. Since data fetching could take some time, EdgeCTP asks if you’re good with this, click Yes – Go on and another tab will open in your browser that takes you to the EdgeCTP Home dashboard, which lets you carry on working, whilst data is fetched in the background
- The newly retrieved Orders would appear the Sales Orders section of EdgeCTP, so from the EdgeCTP Home dashboard choose Our Sales > Sales Orders > eCommerce
Example: Notice the ‘Donald Webb’ (1040) order that was created in the earlier “Manual Order Entry using Shopify Store Admin Method” section of this blog, is now appearing in the Sales Orders panel, with a Source of ‘S’, meaning Shopify.Notice too that there is a Fetch Data button here too, which saves you having to go into Administration > Settings > eCommerce > Shopify to perform the manual order fetch from Shopify.
- To continue and process/fulfil the Order, you should click on the Edit (pencil) Action icon and open the Sales Order
You now have the ability to create a number of related documents and business processes from this Sales Order using the action button in the header, such as:
- +Create New Order > Purchase Order … lets you order in supplies or the materials you need from Suppliers
- +Create Invoice(s) … lets you raise an invoice for the Sales Order and copy it to your Accounting Package (Xero, FreeAgent, QuickBooks etc.) with just one click
- Email PDF … lets you email the Sales Order out to anyone (without impacting the Sales Order’s status)
- Send … lets you also email + indicate it has been physically printed + sent out to the buyer (this changes the Sales Order’s status to Sent)
- Generate PDF … lets you produce PDF versions of the Sales Order in various layouts
Generate an Invoice from the Shopify Sales Order
Having received a Sales Order in EdgeCTP for a Shopify placed order, you can perform the following steps to create an Invoice, sent the invoice to the Buyer/Customer and update your accounting package with it too.
- From the EdgeCTP Home dashboard choose Our Sales > Sales Orders > eCommerce
- On the eCommerce dashboard, search for the Sales Order from Shopify that you wish to use to generate an invoice. Once found click on the Edit (pencil) Action icon
- With the Sales Order being shown, choose +Create Invoice(s) to show the Create Invoice(s) from Sales Order pop-up
This helps you generate more than one invoice, if you’ve more than one product on the Sales Order, and assign invoice numbers to the products. If you’ve only one product or only want one invoice, then stick with the default of 1 and click Fire! Create Invoice(s)!
- After a few moments messages will appear saying the invoice(s) has been generated and placed on the Financial Documents dashboard. Click Close to close the Sales Order and return to the Financial Documents dashboard
Notice that the Invoice (usually a Commercial Invoice (SCOM) if the Buyer is overseas) appears in the Financial Documents dashboard, one row above the associated Sales Order.Also, if the Buyer had paid fully for the goods (during Shopify’s check-out process) then the Status of the Invoice is “Fully Settled” (and the associated Sales Orders is “Invoicing”).Initially the Accounted (Acct.) value is “No”, which indicates that Invoice has NOT been sent to the account package.
- Click on the Edit (pencil) Action icon of the Invoice to open it
Use the following action buttons on the header of the Invoice to perform desired business processes:
- Send or Email PDF … to send/email the invoice to the Buyer (and anyone else)
- Generate PDF … to create a PDF of the invoice in various formats i.e., Standard Accounting invoice is one of the simplest and most recognised layouts
- Copy to Acc. Package … to simply copy the invoice to your accounting package, which you must already be connected too (otherwise follow the step-by-step guide that presents itself)
- Adjust Stock … although this is best done on the Sales Order, adjust stock has also been placed here in case the Sales Order has split into multiple invoices, and you wish to track at an invoice level if all invoiced stock has been shipped. Again, follow the step-by-step guidance that presents itself
Disconnecting Shopify from EdgeCTP
If you wish to disconnect Shopify from EdgeCTP, for whatever reason do the following steps.
- Login to EdgeCTP and from the Home dashboard choose Administration > Settings > eCommerce > Shopify
Notice in this example Shopify is currently connected
- Click Disconnect and when the Disconnect from Shopify pop-up appears, click 1st Disconnect Shopify
- In a new tab, the Shopify Store (admin) will open up. Login if necessary. In the Apps screen you’ll see EdgeCTP as an Installed app. Click Delete to uninstall it.
- When Shopify asks for a confirmation to Delete EdgeCTP from Shopify, optionally select a Feedback reason and comments, and then click Delete
- After a few moments, you’ll get a message that EdgeCTP has been successfully deleted
- Click EdgeCTP Settings brower tab to return back to EdgeCTP
- With the Disconnect from Shopify pop-up still visible, click 2nd Disconnected EdgeCTP to now disconnect from the EdgeCTP side
- Wait a few moments for the Settings | eCommerce | Shopify panel in EdgeCTP to refresh and return back with NO Shopify connection shown